City Policies

Elgin Header City Policies

Animal Control

It is unlawful for the owner of any animal to allow the animal to run at large or trespass on another person's premises. Dogs shall be confined in a substantial and secure pen. No more than three dogs are allowed per residence. Dog licenses are required and may be purchased at City Hall for $5 per year, with current proof of vaccination. Local veterinarian conducts annual shot clinic at Fire Department, usually in April. See Elgin Code of Ordinance for complete information concerning dogs and other animals.


Building permits are required for new construction, renovation, add-ons, garage conversions, fences, carports, patio covers, in-ground swimming pools, decks and storage buildings. Permits are required to bring mobile homes and prefabricated buildings into the City. Demolition permits are also required. Please contact City Hall at 580-492-5777, for a complete list and fee schedule.

Call OKIE Before You Dig!

811 or 1800-522-OKIE (6543)

Nuisance Abatement

It is unlawful for any owner/occupant of any parcel of land within the corporate limits to allow trash or weeds to grow, stand or accumulate upon such premises. It shall be the responsibility of such owner/occupant to remove or destroy such trash or weeds from the street to the center of the alley. No person shall abandon any partially dismantled, non-operating, wrecked or junked vehicle on any private property, street right-of-way or public easement. The City will abate nuisances in accordance with Oklahoma Statutes and local code.

Fireworks Policy

Firework stands are permitted in City limits, by permit only. Permit applications must be turned no later than May 15th and November 15th. Firing of fireworks is not allowed in City limits, except at Municipal Park on July 4th and December 31st, when supervised by Elgin VFD.

Garage Sales

No permit is required. Please remove all posted signs after garage sale.