Camping & Lakes
Lake Ellsworth is located 4 miles northwest from Elgin, and boasts activities such as swimming, fishing, boating or camping. Lake Ellsworth has over 40 miles of shoreline and covers 5,600 surface acres.
Lake Lawtonka is located 10 miles west of Elgin, and is two square miles in area. The lake attracts hikers, bikers, campers and other water sport enthusiasts, as well as fishers and campers.
LETRA is located on Fort Sill, and offers 360 acres of year-round camping and summer recreation. They have a large club house, hiking, cabins, a water slide into the lake and summer rentals available.
Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge
The Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge was founded in order to help protect species that are in danger of extinction in our area. Some of the animals that were introduced to the refuge include bison, Texas long-horn cattle, elk, wild turkey, prairie dog, river otters and burrowing owls. The Refuge was established in 1901, and is part of a collection of over 550 refuges nationwide. To learn more about the refuge, call 580-429-2197, or visit their website.
To learn about the parks maintained in Elgin, visit our Parks and Recreation page.
Elgin has many restaurants for your dining pleasure, both “sit-down” style and “fast-food” style. Some of the restaurants in town include:
- Tina Mae’s Bar & Grill
- Boom Pa’s
- Simple Simon’s Pizza
- Trivet’s Family Restaurant
- Fat Boy’s Pizza & Wings
- China Garden
- Billy Sim’s Barbecue
There are a few casinos in the area for your pleasure. They include:
- Comanche Spur Casino in Elgin
- Comanche Nation Casino in Lawton
- Kiowa Casino in Devol
- Bingo Country in Lawton
- Chisholm Trail Casino in Duncan
- Fort Sill Apache Casino in Lawton
For the avid golfers who visit or live in Elgin, we have five beautiful courses located within a reasonable driving distance:
- Lawton Country Club in Lawton
- Lawton Municipal Golf Course in Lawton
- The Territory Golf Course in Duncan
- Cottonwood Creek in Chickasha
- Riverbend Golf Club in Chickasha
Museums & Galleries
Thanks to our proximity to Lawton and Fort Sill, our residents and visitors can easily visit many history museums and art galleries. They include:
- Comanche National Museum & Cultural Center
- Fort Sill National Historic Landmark Museum
- Historic Mattie Beal Home
- The Museum of the Great Plains
- U.S. Army Field Artillery Museum
- Leslie Powell Art Gallery
- Southwestern Medical Center Art Gallery
- The Little Chapel of Lawton